Wednesday, September 28, 2011

bring back the knitted sweaters.


Hits: T by Alexander Wang, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Isabel Marant
Misses: Miu Miu, Celine
Meh: Acne

Here's a late review of the fall 2011, ready-to-wear collections. (Rather than looking at Spring '12, I rather look at some weather appropriate pieces to inspire me for the chilly season.) I've been caught up on loads of school work and volunteering opportunities. Thank God for Rosh Hashanah and its four day weekend. It's time to critic, admire, and lust for these outfits!



First up, T by Alexander Wang.


Oh, Mr. Wang, how I love thy designs! Let me count the ways... Just kidding, I'd bore you all. I especially love this outfit. Comfy luxe. Very reminiscent of Michael Kors Autumn/Winter 2010-11. (click here for examples) Knitted sweaters are one of my favorite versatile pieces. They even work in the summer, when worn over a pair of broken in mint chinos, on a windy beach day. This turtleneck is all comfy cozy and simply perfect with something leather (pants, jacket) or faux black snakeskin leggings.


This is just another outfit by Mr. Wang. It's simple, yes. A black turtleneck with a body con skirt. I added it because I think its an epitome of winter. The model works it perfectly with her milky white skin. Ah, autumn and winter will chill us and fade our tans.

Next, Acne.


Most of their collection, in my opinion, was pretty blah. A few denim pieces were nice but nothing spectacular. I adore this outfit though. It was one of the only outfits that stood out because it was so simple but well put together. Bring back the oxford shirt! I love this color; almost every man has this color shirt in his closet. I want it! The slight bagginess of the shirt and the silver platforms brings in a little casual. The skirt perplexes me. What are those protruding... things? Back to the platforms. They remind me of silver birkenstocks. I like them though.


Gosh, the more I look at those shoes, the more I like them! I adore the monochromatic color palette in this outfit. Dusty rose is definitely one of my favorite autumn colors.

Third, 3.1 Phillip Lim.


This dress is just, for lack of better words, so cute! I tend this stay away from white dresses but this one is a keeper. The sleeves have to be my favorite part. I like the dresses that are simple but have a special, embellished touch.


Taupe is seriously becoming one of my favorite colors this season. That and burnt orange/ rust. It looks great with black and navy, just like chestnut. Collars are starting to grow on me. It just works for some looks. It wraps it all up and adds a grown up touch.

Last, but definitely not least, Isabel Marant.


Oh, Ms. Marant, you never fail me! This was the last collection I viewed and it was just a delight. I loved the ivory, grey, and black fringe boots she dressed all the models in. They're cute; I'd like a pair. A lovely body con to help start off. J'adore the distorted color blocking.


I love me some knits. That knitted cardigan is definitely something I will be lusting for. Grey and burgundy? One of my favorite color combos. This sweater is just PERFECTION!


This body con is the perfect example of READY TO WEAR. Love that it is simple but body accentuating.


This is really amazing interpretation of a tuxedo jacket. From the color, to the large cut, it is a polished piece that can bring anything together!


You guys probably know how I feel about knit. I think that's a knit dress underneath. Or is it a waffle? Hm. But anyway, the fur and knit/waffle is lovely. Perhaps a cute, little fur vest will suffice.

Why didn't I like Miu Miu or Celine?
The collections as two wholes were just plain meh to me. I'm a fan of Miu Miu but the shoulder pads aren't working for me. I'm not a fan of those. Not one bit. As for Celine, I didn't get that pitter patter of the heart when I looked through the collection.

How did these lines inspire me?
For autumn, I'm looking forward to dressing in cream and ivory colored knits. Pops of rust from my colored skinnies. A sprinkle of dusty rose from scarves and thick knit socks that pop out of my Hunters. Isabel Marant featured a ton of fringe. Soon I'll incorporate some of that into my outfits. For the winter, a shitload of black and grey. The usual. This time, I'll add in different textures to spice it up.

Its still September but I'm wishing for chilly November, when it is completely normal to be eating cinnamon apple pancakes and drinking hot cocoa. For the last few days, in New York, it has been sweltering! Okay, fine, not sweltering but reaaalllly warm. Shorts and tank weather. Seriously. Oh, autumn. Come soon!




Wake me up when September ends,
xo


runway pictures by STYLE.com 
first picture found on tumblr with no credit

No comments:

Post a Comment