Tuesday, September 20, 2011

a toast to toast

the elvis

Give me a choice between a few slices of bacon and a chunk of a baguette, smeared with strawberry jam and pat of butter, and I'll choose the latter. While some people take pleasure in eating ginormous hamburgers sandwiched in between deep fried bacon grilled cheese (ie. these guys), I prefer simpler alternatives. Bread. Toast. Pasta. With butter. With jam. With olive oil and garlic.

So basically, I love carbs. Its pure comfort food to me. When I feel stressed out, overwhelmed, or hungry, I reach for it. Its a problem, yes. But I'm working on it!

Today, in particular, I wasn't having s great day. When I got home, I was hungry and needed something to fuel me up quickly because I had a volleyball game in two hours. I was in no mood to wash a ton of dishes and pans. I glanced toward my counter and saw a glass Pyrex filled with bread slices. (Specifically, bread that my momma made the night before and cut this morning to make me my lunch.) I toasted a slice right up and decided to see how many different kinds of open faced sandwiches/ toasts I could make. I made three.



elvis baby
blackberry 2
tomato on toast

All of these are delicious and ridiculously easy to make. It actually relieved my stress. It took my mind off of school and such by "food styling", photographing, and eventually chomping down on these cuties.

the elvis
my version
serves one

1 - 2 slice(s) of toast
peanut butter
1/2 - 1 banana
honey
chopped, salted nuts

Toast up your bread so its nice, warm, and slightly crispy. Smear the peanut butter on top. Slice up a banana diagonally and layer it on top. If the banana is naturally sweet, skip the honey. If it is unripe, drizzle on a bit of honey. Top with the chopped, salted nuts. I used cashews because I had them in the house. Any kind of nut will suffice. If you have chunky PB, skip it.


cream cheese and blackberry toast
serves one

1 - 2 slice(s) of bread
whipped cream cheese
blackberry jam

Toast up your bread. Spread whipped cream cheese. Dot with blackberry jam. You can use any kind of fruit jam. How simple was that? Tangy, creamy, sweet.


tomato and cheese toast
serves one

1 - 2 slice(s) of bread
whipped cream cheese
1 wedge of Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb Swiss cheese
cherry tomatoes

Toast up your bread. Natch. Spread on the cream cheese. Then spread on the Laughing Cow. I swear I'm addicted to these wedges, by the way. Slice cherry tomatoes in half and top off the toast. If you have any cheese left over, dollop it on the tomatoes.

cashews

Cashews. Just had to add this picture in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment