Sunday, November 27, 2011

double trouble

double chocolate crinkles

You look like you need a cookie. A warm, chocolate cookie with crunchy walnut bits and gooey dark chocolate chips. I apologize, non-chocolate lovers (if you guys do exist) because this post is all about the double chocolate crinkle cookie. Once upon a time, it was just a chocolate crinkle cookie. Then, I vamped it up with just a couple of ingredients. Really simple and swoon worthy. The only con is that if you live in a house of four, like me, these chocolate morsels will disappear in a matter of days.

Not only do these babes taste delicious, they are so easy to make. All you need is (a little) elbow grease. I broke my hand mixer a few weeks ago while making some birthday cupcakes (which were a fail, thanks for asking) so creaming butter and sugar is really hard without a four hours wait time for the butter to soften into goop. I wanted these cookies NOW. Not in four hours + assembling time + chilling time + baking time. I'd recommend these cookies to anyone. Seriously. Okay, I'll go now. I hope I convinced you. Lemme pull a Sunny Anderson right now...

They're easy on your eyes, easy on your [patience], and they're REAL easy to eat.

crinkly

double chocolate crinkle cookies 
adapted from Betty Crocker

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks
1/2 - 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar

Mix cocoa, oil, and sugar together. Add eggs. Stir in vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients then add into the wet mixture. Then add walnuts and chips. Cover and chill for at least one hour.
After one GRUESOME hour, uncover the dough. Time to bake! It was a little hard to shape these cookies. (read: I looked like a child who spent an afternoon making mud pies. It was terrible. After making ten ugly cookies and caking my hands with chocolate dough, I used my noodle and found an efficient way to make these cookies.) First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Set out the confectioner's sugar in a paper plate and lined. Grab your tablespoon/teaspoon/cookie scooper and scoop away! Scoop the wet dough into the powdered sugar. Roll it around with your finger until it becomes dry enough to shape with your palms. Work quickly and add to the sheet. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes. You can cover them in more sugar if you like. A lot of my sugar dissolved into the cookie. Cool and enjoy!

Notes: I used a tablespoon to scoop dough. It made my cookies palm sized! If you want, ity bity tea cookie-esque crinkles, use a teaspoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment