Tuesday, November 8, 2011

scrambled pancakes are happiness.


Hi lovely. You promise you won't judge me? I screwed up pancakes. Yeah. Pancakes. I was surprised too. The pancakes kept getting stuck on the cast iron pan. I ended up just... well, scrambling them like they were eggs. Before I took a bite, I was expecting the worst. Instead, I got a creamy, flavorful mouthful of bliss. Although they aren't the prettiest plate of brunch, I took them to my Mac and watched an episode of How I Met Your Mother. I was laughing at Marshall's recitation of "The Raven" in between bites of my scrambled pancakes. This was happiness. In that moment, I was glad there was something funny before my eyes and something delicious in my mouth. It took my mind off the loads of work in store for me. Total bliss.



Scrambled Banana Walnut Pancakes 
adapted from Joy the Baker's Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Pancakes and Single Lady Pancake

2/3 cup white whole wheat flour (or all purpose) 
2 Tbsp oats 
1 + 1/2 Tbsp sugar 
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda 
2 pinches of salt
scant 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 dashes of vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream 
4 Tbsp milk  
1 mashed ripe banana 
handful of chopped, toasted walnuts 

Combine the flour, sugar, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Mix the sour cream, vanilla, and milk in a measuring cup (to make things easier). Add the wet into the dry. Mix well then add banana and walnuts.
Heat up your cast iron. Don't wait for it to heat up and instead, wait a minute and pour in a bit of vegetable oil. Swirl it. Ladle out pancakes or use the ladle to pour the batter into the measuring cup and use that. (Smart, eh?) 
Now make your pancakes! When the pancakes don't flip cleanly, don't pout. Don't curse yourself for "messing up the recipe". Instead, scramble them. Take a bite and smile. Appreciate the warm, creamy, slightly sweet scramble and the crunchy walnuts. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment